Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We are Smarter than Me

What I enjoy most about rehearsals is figuring out all of the really wonderful moments in the play that I had missed. Directors that don't foster creativity in their rehearsal rooms are really missing out because, when you have actors who are both knowledgeable and engaged, they're going to tell you more about the play than you would have ever figured out on your own, no matter how many collations you've completed.

Of course, since I have done all of those collations, studied the space, and the practices of the time, I also have a few things to contribute myself, but the most valuable of those is an outside eye. Having someone watching the play go up and comment on what works and what doesn't is essential in the theatre world, and I am happy to say that I have managed to assemble a cast with whom I have so far managed to maintain an excellent creative dialogue.

I've been watching them work Merry Devil on its feet for a couple days now, and I'm pretty sure this play is going to be better than I imagined. In exactly one month, we'll be loading our set and costume pieces into Studio 1831 for our opening night performance. Saying it makes it real, but after seeing where my cast is during these first two days, I've no worries about the quality of the show we're going to bring to Philly. I hope you can join us there!

No comments:

Post a Comment