Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Scheduling

Making a rehearsal schedule is always the hard part, especially when you've got a shorter than normal time frame to get the show up, and when last minute schedule changes in the lives of your actors jump up and kick you in the stomach. Very possibly the entire rehearsal schedule needs to be re-worked to accommodate a few changes, but other peoples schedules have changed to, and thus they may not be as available as you thought they were.

I'm not gonna lie, this is the part where I'm always a little bit tempted to throw in the towel, but I haven't done so yet, and I don't plan on starting now. Still, just as tickets going on sale creates an immediate air of certainty to the project, the rehearsal schedule getting thrown out of whack a mere week before we begin chips away at that. It's tempting to give in to despair (why can't I be better at planning this) or anger (why can't they be better at managing their lives), but the fact is that it is no one's fault, it is simply the way that it is. It is another problem that needs to be dealt with.

I've had my minute of wanting to throw in the towel, and my moment of gnashing my teeth, and now I'm back to trying to put together a schedule we can all excel with. It's a little bit calming to think that, one way or another, in 41 days this will all be behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment