Sunday, September 5, 2010

Yes, it is Fun

I want to pause from my usual notes to echo Amanda's sentiment. This show is a lot of fun, and it's difficult to imagine an editing process without such a fine group of creative collaborators to keep me on my toes. Sometimes, I get too busy looking at the words to consider their meaning within the context of the play, which is one of the pitfalls of editing that I can't help but feel most editors of the past four centuries have fallen into. These words were meant to be spoken by people to other people in front of other people. The transcriptions that made their way to the print house simply cannot capture the thrill (or the sadness, or the humor) of the play in performance.

Brian, Amanda, Victoria, Rachel, Kimberly, Paul, Sara, Jeff, Dan, and Melissa have been invaluable partners in interrogating the text, and without their constant efforts to make sense of my transcriptions, collations, and emendations this work would be little more than a distasteful stew of words printed on a page. Watching them is a joy and a privilege, and I look forward to seeing them bring this production together over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment